Wednesday, April 3, 2024

My Current Problems with Barbie and Ken


 First off, I have not seen the Barbie movie.  But every person in the universe knows about it and the billions of dollars it's earned. 

Also, it's important to remind you that I've had a difficult time with Barbie, the doll, over the decades she's been around. I have previously written about my Barbie woes in this blog. 

Back to the movie, even with the rave reviews, there are those who have said that it emasculated Ken,  I don't know how that could happen to "Ken," but that's not my current concern. 

My concern is this:  Margot Robbie was Barbie.  Issa Rae was another Barbie.  Kate McKinnon was a third Barbie.  Greta Gerwig directed.  As far as I know, all of these people are intelligent women.  Unlike the doll, they are successful humans who know how to speak.

So here's my problem.  All I saw on Oscar night was Ken. His Marilyn Monroe inspired musical number has been, and still is, all over YouTube.  I look at Facebook once a day. He's all over it as well, sometimes as Ken, sometimes talking about Ken and sometimes using his other persona, Ryan Gosling.  Yes, I think Ryan Gosling is funny and smart and fantastic to look at.

But, seriously, don't these women have some things to say?

When my niece sent this cartoon it made me think of Ken mansplaining the Barbie movie.

***