Friday, March 29, 2024

Good Friday

Diana Nyad
 When I was growing up in the 1940s, Good Friday was a very different experience, whether you were Christian or not.  

From noon to 3:00 P.M., everything closed down.  Restaurants, stores, offices, all closed in respect for the perceived time Jesus hung on the cross.  

Lent,  the 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter,  has traditionally been a time of introspection for me.  I am not a religious talker so I don't usually share my introspectiveness, but it is there and it is meaningful to me. 

So, for Holy Week, and especially today, Good Friday, I want to be solemn much of the time and contemplate what my life is all about and what the next chapter will look like.

It's easy to get distracted by other things and people I love, and knowing how blessed I am.  

So, what to do?

You may find this offensive, but what put me in the proper frame of mind was watching the torturous movie, NYAD on Netflix.  The movie stars Annette Bening as Diana Nyad, who, in 2013, at age 64, swam from Cuba to Key West without a protective cage.  She covered the 103 miles in 53 hours,  

The movie has received positive reviews but I found it to be almost more than I could bare.   Am I comparing what Diana Nyad achieved to Jesus dying on the cross for our sins?  No.  Am I seeing a person who chose to undergo a truly torturous journey (after four earlier attempts)? Yes.  

And it helped me stay focused on what Good Friday is all about.  I just heard the following quote a few minutes ago.  It speaks to me. 

Embrace the darkness of Good Friday.  

***