Monday, April 8, 2024

Stand Up Comics

 

As most of you who read this blog know, I love stand up comics. And I love it when some I've listened to over the decades, while I walk, have become superstars.  

For example, three of them, Nate Bargatze, Sebastian Maniuscalco and Leanne Morgan. after sharing brutal honesty about themselves, and then exaggerating it all out of proportion, until it's hysterical, for a couple of decades, are now in the superstar category.  

When I first started watching Nate, he presented himself as naive and lazy.  He's now super famous but the persona remains.

When I first started listing to Sebastian, I thought his father was a mobster.  

Leanne is the epitome of a southern girl.  She uses demeaning words to describe people, like "little."  "My little momma and daddy."  But this is common in the south and we're all in on the joke.  She tells outrageous stories about her husband and family.  She rarely laughs.  She has a perfect stare when she's sharing her bad times.  One of her later tours was called her "Big Pantie Tour."  Every woman of a certain age can understand what that's all about. 

Now, about me.  I'm coping with a few health issues.  I have a UTI that won't quit.  For those of you under 60, this is a Urinary Track Infection.  They can do a number on old people, women and men.  I have test strips that let me know when it's visiting (again.)  But don't get nervous, I won't share any further. 

But I will share on of Leanne's bits.  These are not her words, but it is one of the stories she tells about herself.  She had two little tiny children and a traveling husband.  And she missed her period.  So she gathered up her little ones and drove to Walmart to get a pregnancy test.  After buying it she took the children into the restroom stall with her to use it.  Then looked at it with that perfect stare.  Her three year old son said, "Is it positive?"  

I think about Leeane every time I use my UTI strip.  

All three of these super successful "newcomers" who've been doing stand up for several decades, have specials on Netflix. 


***