Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Who Am I When I'm No Longer Me?

I absolutely love Darby Conley's comic strip "Get Fuzzy,"  In this strip, Bucky Katt, the inscrutable, self-absorbed, cynical, know it all, cat,  is explaining to Satchel Pooch, the sweet, gullible, not very bright dog,  the meaning of Rene` Descartes' Wax Argument.

What I see in the "Wax" argument is the question "Who am I when I'm no longer me?  My husband, Ken, had dementia during his last years, but we never doubted he was in there somewhere.  On the other hand, I've known people who were totally robbed of their intelligence and personality.  It's hard to know when we cease being "who we are."  

In other words, "What is self?  Descartes said "Reason is the ultimate of what our senses perceive is true."  When our personality ceases to be but we're still breathing, where are we?  Have we gone on to afterlife, or are we in limbo?

I don't know the answers to all this, but I like to ponder the questions.  However, I'm not as bad as Satchel who can't get past Descartes having a girls' first name .  


***