Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Mr. Loose and Mr. Tight

My husband, David, and his close artist friend, Herbie, did art together for several decades.  

Occasionally they were invited to participate in gallery showings.  The last one was in 2010, at The Vine Arts Center in Minneapolis.  I was fortunate to be part of this final showing before David moved to Florida where he, found, and bonded with, a whole new group of artist friends.  

The title for the showing at the Vine Arts Center was "Mr Loose and Mr. Tight."  This described their artistic styles.  Their personalities were just the opposite.  

It was fun for me to be a small part and observer of how much work went into these showings.  Fortunately, David always sold a number of pieces but he was never about selling.  

One of the requirements was a short description of the painter's work process.  David's is below.  I just ran across it a couple of days ago.

Artist's Statement:  David Runyan - Architect.

Because I'm an architect, I have always enjoyed drawing, sketching and painting.  It changes the way you look at things and each subject requires its own specific translation from the eye to the finished piece of art.  Since my training as an architect required very precise work my title in this show is "Mr. Tight," which is apropos.

The watercolor, pen & ink, pencil and pastel mediums I've used are essentially the mediums I used as a practicing architect to develop renderings of proposed buildings, do concept sketches and draft working drawings (before computers.)

Herbie and I have enjoyed drawing together for many years. 

***