Thursday, January 30, 2020

I Don't Like the Word SPLIT

I have some pretty strong beliefs - about my own political party,  my spirituality my family members, and society in general.

In all of these areas folks tend to describe themselves by the ideologies of Traditionalists ("Let's do it the way it[s always been done,') the Centrists, and the Progressives ("In light of our continuing to evolve as a specifies, let's look at this in a whole new way.")

But, because of my spiritual beliefs,  I have this - what many people would call - Pollyanna - idea that we, all of these groups, could learn how to co-exist on this, our increasingly fragile planet.

That means I need to accept folks the way they are.  I admit it's hard to do in this time of deep division - and especially when people in other camps are trying to change me - or kill me.  You know the expression "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people are not out to get you?"  I know it's real, scary and complicated.

So, in the world I live in as a United Methodist, I am thrilled that, in trying to honor our various expressions of belief, a cadre of international leaders has developed a plan to keep all of us under one umbrella, even though, world wide, we are divided into these camps..  How could this possibly be?

The media and other groups are calling this plan a split.  But it's not.  The mediation process is called: A Protocol of Reconciliation and Grace Through Separation.
  • No one has to vote to leave the church.
  • No one is being asked to leave the church.
  • The United Methodist Church, under our symbol,  the cross and flame, will continue to be in ministry around the world.
Last Sunday our Florida bishop, Ken Carter, preached in our church and, since he likes to hike, explained the process like a walk.  A walk in the woods.  Besides being our bishop, he is also the head of the Council of Bishops.  That is the UMC, world wide!  The whole shebang.

So, how did this plan of reconciliation through separation come about?  They sought out an expert in mediation and they found Ken Feinberg, who mediated the September 11th Victim's Compensation Fund, the Virginia Tech and Boston Marathon Victims, and the BP Deepwater Horizon Disaster, to name a few.  He's also Jewish and has no personal stake in this plan. Oh, and he offered his professional advice pro bono.  

It was unanimously affirmed by these church leaders from around the world.

This is not yet finished, because, like our government, the UMC is a bureaucracy.  But unlike other groups around the world, this plan doesn't pick sides or encourage me to hate and destroy everyone who doesn't think like I do.  

It does just the opposite.  As my friend Trish, just texted me, "There are so many shades of grey...the sweet spot is surrounded by them."

It's not a split. 


***