Wednesday, January 8, 2020

I Am Not a Religious Talker

I don't generally use "religious" words.  And I don't like platitudes - declarative, overused praises that shut down conversation.  "God will take care of you."  "Just pray about it."

I like to use words that everybody understands, words that open up conversation in a way that's safe and encouraging.

So that's why it was surprising to several people, including me, that, first of all, I led the decision in Forum on Sunday morning, and second, I zeroed in on the word "Redemption."

Several months ago a friend gave me a book titled A Grace Disguised, How the Soul Grows Through Loss.  I wasn't sure about this book until she told me it was "harsh."  That intrigued me.  The author is a long time professor, and highly credentialed religious leader and writer.  But the book is about his own tragic, instantaneous loss and how excruciating it was.  And no platitudes or religious words could touch it.  It was massive.  He could easily have claimed the prize for greatest loss.

Except he spends the first chapter letting us know that it's not a contest.  Every single one of us who's reached maturity has experienced catastrophic loss; meaning the results are permanent.

So it was interesting to me that the rest of the book (and a later sequel) zeroed in on the word Redemption.  And even the author, Jerry Sittser, said, We don't usually ask people  How's your redemption going?  It would make us appear insufferably religious and weird.

My take-away regarding this word was that, one, it's not about happiness.  Happiness is a by-product. But it is about growth and empowerment.  And, as many of you know, empowerment is one of my favorite words.

Okay how do I get me some of this empowerment?  The guys and gals in the Bible, especially the Old Testament, got it directly from God, and even then it was difficult.  Because, like you and me, these people were wounded, messed up and flawed.  Again, like you and me.

Jonah and Elijah were  Old Testament prophets who got their direction directly from God.  No middle man.  But let's face it, these two were clinically depressed their entire lives.  (Remember Shirley MacLaine in Steel Magnolias when she said I'm not crazy.  I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years.

That describes Jonah to a T.  In the end of his story he had done what God told him to do but he was still in a bad mood.

We don't usually get messages straight from God.  At least I don't.  And folks who say they do scare me.  But we do get messages from unlikely "Christ figures."  Somebody's words and actions empower us.  For instance, one of my favorite theologians, Richard Rohr, dedicated his book "The Universal Christ" to his dog Venus, who he unapologetically described as being Christ to him.

Several folks in Forum had great insights and examples of how another person had empowered them to carry on in various ways.  I told my favorite story of how my brother Paul's life was saved by his wife, Sandy's tough love.  So for the next 45 years or so Paul was in ministry with other men in a most powerful, difficult way.

Here's my take-away.  We are all wounded, messed up and flawed.  But, despite that and possibly because of that,  we can still be instruments of healing and empowerment.

And we usually even find pockets of happiness along the way.

So, how's your redemption going?


***