Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Gospel According to Brad Paisley

A while back we celebrated All Saints Day in church.  This is the day we honor all those who've gone before us, especially during the past year.  Their photos appear on the big screen in an extremely moving candlelight ceremony.

But this year our pastor of Congregational Care, Gary, asked that we do a new thing and provide photos of us holding our loved one's photo.  It was very cathartic and a beautiful new touch.

Then, this past week we wrapped up a group I've been attending for a while by having communion in the chapel which was, likewise, a moving and healing experience.

So what great hymn of the church was played during this service?  It turned out to be Brad Paisley's hit song "When I Get to Where I'm Going," backed up by Dolly Parton holding a photo of a loved one who's pasted.

I loved hearing this song.  It's not for those who "know" exactly what's on the other side.  It's for those of us who have faith (some days only the size of a mustard seed) that it will be good beyond measure.

When I Get to Where I'm Going

When I get to where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

(Chorus)
Yeah when I get to where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles 
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get to where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here. 

I'm gonna walk with my grand daddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Then I'll hug his neck


***