Thursday, December 19, 2019

Google vs. Old School

My minister, David Miller, occasionally refers to Google in his sermons but always references it as "Google, The Source of All Knowledge."  It always gets a little laugh because everybody knows that it's complicated and not always totally without bias.

But this week I noticed the water pressure at my kitchen sink was weak.  My first thought was "Oh, oh, there's a slow leak somewhere in the pipes and soon the place will be flooded and I'll have to move out for several months while my condo's being gutted and rebuilt."

But then I decided to Google it and discovered what was probably wrong and how to fix it and, after watching an attached YouTube video, I fixed it!

But at the other end of the spectrum are books and fine art and such that I want to see "hands on."  Like in a library or a museum.  A while back a friend of mine gave me a "Page-A-Day" calendar containing great works of art.  It's "old school."  I have to manually (what a bother) change the page every day.  I love this calendar.  Every day is a beautiful surprise.

Yesterday was my birthday.  When I changed the page I saw this painting by the Italian portrait painter Vittorio Matteo Corcos.  It was done in 1896 and hangs in the National Gallery of Modern Art in Rome.   It's titled Dreams.  I guess since it was my birthday I was taken by this young woman who probably had big dreams.  It made me think of my own big dreams as a young woman.  I hope hers were fulfilled.

And later, of course,  I Googled it and discovered I could buy a coffee mug with her likeness on it.  Practical but not whimsical.


***