Friday, November 29, 2019

Central Florida - The Happiest Place on Earth

In 2018, 127 million visitors came to Florida, and they spent 86 billion dollars, funding 1.5 million tourism jobs.  The vast majority of visitors came to Central Florida.  Because, after all, we have the Big Three:  Disney, Universal and Seaworld.  It's pretty easy to spend a billion dollars or so at these places.  So, thank you tourists!

But yesterday, our local columnist, Scott Maxwell, shared his annual 101 Things to Love About Central Florida.  I always love this list.  Why?  The vast majority of them are very low cost or free.  

Below are some of the ones David and I did often.  I'm hoping to be well enough to do them again soon.  It won't be the same, of course, but it will bring back good memories:

          The Annual Festival of Trees at Orlando Museum of Art.  I admit, I liked this more than David but he was a good sport.  These are professionally, over-the-top decorated Christmas trees - tons of them.  twinkle lights galore.  The event lasts about four days and then you can even buy one if you like. 

          Easy drive to beautiful beaches in an hour or so.

          The Farmer's Market in Winter Park.  I might try to go tomorrow morning.  My popcorn lady misses me and I miss her.  When she heard what happened to David she gave me two big bags of popcorn for free.  How kind is that?

          The Winter Park boat rides - These pontoon boats go through a chain of lakes where you see pristine areas mingled with lovely homes.  It's fun to go with a group and bring your own fancy snacks and beverages (adult or otherwise.)

          The Enzian Theater with it's intimate small tables for easy ordering of small bites and Chardonnay.  Our favorite place to sit was on the bottom floor, up front, on one of the couches where you could put your feet up and your head back.

          The Winter Park running of the Chihuahua's.

          And finally, Francesco's in Maitland.  This is a little hard to find Italian restaurant.  It was our favorite romantic restaurant and we ate there often - and, of course, always ordered the same meal (which we shared.)

I'll, hopefully, get back to these things reasonably soon and David will, of course, be with me in my heart.


***