Sunday, April 22, 2018

It's Official: We're Cute

I'm a petite woman.  When I was pursuing a career I worked hard to present myself as powerful and strong.  It required a big voice, lots of gold jewelry and high heels.  At six foot, three - Dave never had this problem.

But now, for the last couple of years, I've noticed people, from time to time, commenting on how cute we are.  I don't know what to make of it.  I guess it's a compliment but as all of us get older people sometimes treat like us like toddlers.  I did that myself a while back.  A man in my church died, one I've always thought of as a sweet little old man (kind of cute.)  When I heard his eulogy I was reminded of what a great man he was. 

I wonder if anybody ever tells Jimmy Carter he's cute. 

It happened to us twice on our trip to Tampa last week.  Dave said it was my hat.  But I don't think so.  It's more likely my shoes.  I've been wearing the very same Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars for about 35 years.  Well, I don't mean the same shoes, just the exact same style.  And I don't need a Youtube video to learn the (current) correct way to lace them.  I do it old school. 

But now a new thing is happening.  People comment to another, usually younger, person about how cute we are.  When we were at the Columbia Restaurant on Thursday a woman came up to our waiter and said "Aren't they the cutest couple?"  I remember a time that this would have driven me over the edge.  I just smiled. 

Another time, several months ago I was in an airport with my son.  A woman admired my shoes and, even though I was standing right there next to her,  said to my son, isn't she cutest thing in those shoes?

My son, who knows exactly how I feel on this subject, but who is apparently no longer afraid of me, said, yes she's cute.


***