Friday, April 6, 2018

Balancing Act

As you know, I had a bad fall a while back.  It got my attention.  But I don't want to become a recluse like Nora Desmond in Sunset Boulevard and never leave the house again.

Falling down is very dangerous.  Staying inactive is even more dangerous. 

Yesterday I started an eight week (two hours per week) class on balance.  The quote above is from this class.   A couple of years or so ago, after my first bout of Meniere's Disease,  I was sent to "balance" rehab for five weeks and at the end the therapist and I agreed it did me no good what-so-ever because, basically, I didn't need it.

But now I do.  So when Betsy, our Parish Nurse called and asked me to sign up, I did.  But I was dubious.

What a surprise!  A dozen or so of us met with our instructor, Claudia, to participate in this class called "A Matter of Balance:  Managing Concerns about Falls."  It's an evidence based, government program.  "Evidence based" apparently means that it works and they have the evidence to prove it.

Anyway, the first session was fun and informative.  The two hours flew by.  If you're prone to falls, It's not about staying home and watching TV.  It's about overcoming fear and doing what you want to do.  So it looks like this class will about getting on with this one wild, beautiful life I've been able to hang on to so far.

Hope so!


***