Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Brain Fog is Clearing Up

For a while now - like months - I've been suffering from a kind of brain fog.  I know it has to do with the Meniere's Disease that's always with me, and the medication I take to calm it.  And, of course, there's the getting older by the minute.  I don't mind the physical part so much but I missed my brain. So I decided to get it back.  And I did - with two books and a magazine.

The Artist's Way - A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron.  I read this book about 15 years ago.  Some of you know it and its famous "Morning pages."  This is an exercise that requires us to sit down and write out three pages of of longhand writing, strictly stream-of-consciousness, every single day.  This exercise is not especially for writers.  It's for all of us who want to be creative, to have and share ideas.  This book is designed for creative recovery. It helped me in 2003.  It helped me in 2017.

I've started doing my "pages" again.  Not three pages, but two.  Every day.  It is a discipline - but it works.  Life changes for the good if we do our morning pages.




The New Yorker - I re-upped my subscription.  The New Yorker is full of ideas, interesting people, short stories, poetry, cartoons and smart commentary on just about everything.  The trick is to read all of it. Not just skip around to the few things I love most, like "Shouts and Murmurs" and the cartoons.










The Sun Still Rises - Meditations on Faith at Midlife by Leonora Tubbs Tisdale - I have difficulty finding devotionals.  I don't care for most of them.  Some of them make me want to start screaming (if I only had the energy.)  But here's how I got hold of this one.  Dave has a connection with Yale Divinity School.  Somebody at Yale sent him this devotional.  The writer is a professor of Homiletics at Yale.   Her writing is real and personal.  She's had her ups and downs, just like me.





My body is still having problems.  My vertigo is still acting up.  But my brain and my spirit are currently working on all four cylinders.


***