Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day - Again

Hope this has been a good day for you.  As my minister, David Miller, said this morning, "Celebrate if you had a mother!"  That pretty much covers all of us.  He went on to tell us the difference between honoring and loving.  They are not the same thing.

Since my older kids are in their 50s, I've had my share of Mother's Days.  It's never been my favorite holiday, especially, when my kids were little and I was married to a minister.  For instance, back in the day we used to celebrate the oldest mom (sometimes two old ladies would have an argument across the sanctuary,) the youngest mom (what's to celebrate about a 15 year old giving birth,) and (my personal favorite) the mom with the most kids.  I won this last one a couple of times, and since I was the minister's spouse, some other moms thought it was unfair.

I actually thought that myself.

Also some of the Mother's Day sermons were (not by Ken but other ministers, of course) terrible.  My favorite terrible ones had to do with getting us moms to shape up and do a better job.  My particular favorite was a story this minister told about a terrible mom who didn't get up and make her son's lunch so he got into trouble in school for having a baloney sandwich and a can of beer in his lunch box.

This impressed me since I did not pack my older kids' lunches at that time.  We all got up early but they were on their own with the lunch packing.

So my response to the sermon was this:  When we got in the car on that Mother's Day in the 70's I asked them to please not ever put a can of beer in their lunch boxes because it would make me look bad.

I was fine with the baloney sandwich.


***