Thursday, May 4, 2017

100 Most Influential People in the World

I finally finished reading all of the bios in Time magazine's 100 most influential people.  The bios are written by other famous people.  This is always a tremendous learning process for me. They're in five categories:

  • Pioneers
  • Artists
  • Leaders
  • Titans
  • Icons
Some I didn't know (so I learned something,)  some I didn't like (Putin, for example,) some I could not figure out why they're on the list (Rupaul, for example.)

I understand why Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump are on the list even though Henry Kissinger's bio of Jared is extremely non committal.  Also in the Pioneers category, along with Zika virus expert, Celina Turchi and Chobani CEO, and big time refugee hiring boss, Hamdi Ulukaya, we have Chance the Rapper.  I didn't understand that choice until I read his bio (by Common.)

So happy to see in the Leaders category Melinda Gates and Pope Francis, two of my favorite people.  (They could have been in all five categories.)

I learned a lot about what it means to be a Titan.  Happy to see George Church on the list, with bio by Stephen Colbert.  And I'm even OK with Tom Brady being on this Titan list. 

As for the last category, Icons, I wish there had been a definition of the word.  Viola Davis is an excellent actor whose fame is long overdue, but Icon?  I agree with having John Lewis on the list, for a variety of reasons.  But Rupaul?


***