Sunday, May 7, 2017

Get Out of Dodge

Summer and winter and spring time and harvest,
Sun moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness,
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love. - Great is Thy Faithfulness

I'm reading a book called Saturn Run, supposedly written by one of my very favorite writers, John Sanford, but he's obviously had help from, not only his co-author, Ctein, but other space geeks because it's very sciencey.  It's about us earthlings having to get ourselves to Saturn on the double.

And now this week we've got Dr. Stephen Hawking telling us (for real) that we need to be ready to find another planet to live on within the next one hundred years because we are rapidly screwing this one up.  His top five reasons are:
  • Climate change
  • Threat of nuclear war
  • Genetically engineered viruses
  • Population growth
So while Dave and I are thinking through ways of staying in our condo for the long term (aging in place) Dr. Hawking is telling us we might need to leave the planet unless we change our ways. 

This morning during communion I was reading through my favorite verse of one of my favorite hymns (quoted above.)  By the way, the music to this great hymn was written by Dave's grandfather, William Runyan.  

I just hope that God really does have faith in us to work together with all other living things to save this planet.  I'm not up for a trip to Saturn.


***