Friday, November 20, 2015

Rich Churches


Melk, Germany
Budapest, Hungary
You know I have a problem with wealthy ministers, priests and churches.  Seeing the amazing churches and cathedrals in Eastern Europe awed me in one sense and troubled me in another.  Every time I saw one I wondered how many thousands suffered in order to get it up.

I was teasing when I said earlier that my church needs to "step it up."  I belong to a wonderful church that worships in a beautiful set of buildings - but my church is absolutely not about the buildings.  I hope this is, and has been, true of some of the ones we saw a couple of weeks ago.
Passau, German 

Regansberg, Germany
We know that the building is not God and people are not God.  We're all flawed and sometimes get our priorities confused.

In Regansberg, Germany we took an architectural tour.  We saw magnificent old buildings, including two Catholic churches.  The one Protestant church was beautiful, but much more plain.

The reason?  Martin Luther was in Regansberg and was appalled by the wealth of the Catholic Churchs.

Wurzberg, Germany
Our guide was Protestant but she said she told her kids that, when she has to go into assisted living, she wants to go to the Catholic facility - because it's better looking and they serve beer.



Cologne, Germany
















***