Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Bamberg

Beautiful homes in Bamberg
About half way through our Viking River Cruise we reached the lovely little town of Bamsberg.  Listed as a UNESCO site, Bamberg has 2,000 buildings listed as historical monuments.

Toward the end of the day Dave and I found ourselves sitting  outside in the sun having espresso and tea.  He was sketching and I was writing about the day.  And what a day it had been in this beautiful town.

Did I ever dream when I
saw this film that I would
visit the home of this man?
Near the entrance to Bamberg from the river there is a plaque honoring Claus Graf Stauffenberg.  He was the guy portrayed by Tom Cruise in the movie, Valkyrie, who was a German soldier but joined the movement and tried to assassinate Hitler.  He's now seen as a hero in Germany.  But our tour guide reminded us that many of these towns mistreated Jews throughout their history.  This included Christians.








The night before this stop in Bamberg our cruise director told us
there would be a demonstration in the town square and we were advised to ignore it.  When we reached the town square we could see that there were several young adults demonstrating about emigration.  I wasn't concerned because most of them were holding up giants hearts.  Not being able to make out their slogan I asked somebody to translate for me.  The slogan was:
Statue in the park


No human is an immigrant.  











***