Tuesday, November 10, 2015

It's So Hot Here I Think I'll Go Back to Budapest

Every time we looked around
There he was that hairy hound from Budapest.
Never leaving us alone, never have I ever known
a ruder pest. 

-  My Fair Lady - "You Did It" lyrics

Yesterday was the hottest November 9th in the history of Orlando, Florida.  We topped out at 91 degrees.  Makes me long for the cool climes of Northern Europe last week. 

Clean, modern toalett
When we planned this trip we could choose to start the cruise in either Amsterdam or Budapest.  We made our choice based on the best time to go but we were both sad that we would essentially miss Amsterdam.  About all I knew about Budapest was from the song lyrics from My Fair Lady copied above.  I always thought it was so cool to rhyme "Budapest" with "Ruder pest."

Shoes
I know you want to hear about restrooms.  They're a big deal.  Years ago when Dave and I walked all over France we had some weird restroom experiences.  Including sometimes just a hole in the floor and most of the time no toilet paper.  Dave took to carrying some in his pocket for me.  So, even though some of the folks were upset because, in most places, it cost 50 euros to pee, I was happy.  Mostly clean and up to date. 


As we walked along the Danube we spied these shoe sculptures along the bank.  They were conceived by film director Can Togay and sculptor Gyula Pauer to honor Jews who were ordered to take off their shoes before being shot on the bank of the Danube in 1944-45.  Very moving site to see.
With new friends rubbing this guy's
belly for luck.

Budapest is some city. 


***