Sunday, October 18, 2015

Judgement at Nuremberg

Imperial Palace, Nuremberg, Germany
Less than a month ago, I was talking with a person here in my neighborhood who said to me, in passing, that she used to have a boyfriend who was German but they split up.  When I asked why she said "because he's German."  When I questioned her a bit more she told me that she had sort of gotten over the "hating Germans" thing but then saw the old movie Judgement at Nuremberg and it all came back.

Judgement at Nuremberg is an excellent film staring Burt Lancaster, Spencer Tracy and loads of other well known actors of the time.  To my knowledge, it accurately portrays the Nuremberg trials, the first one of which has been described as "the greatest trial in history."  

And then, just today, I was looking on Facebook at an angelic looking little boy who, when his dad asked what he knew about Germans, he replied,  "They're baddies."
Angela Merkel
Former Research Scientist, Chancellor of Germany
and Leader of the Christian Democratic Union

As it happens Dave and I will be in a few German cities on the Danube in the next few weeks.  We're looking forward to seeing the cities, eating the food, and meeting and getting to know the folks.

We'll visit Nuremberg and, along with seeing the Imperial Palace and the medieval town center, we'll take a World War II tour.  The war which, by the way, ended 75 years ago.  We may see a baddie or two but my guess is that we'll be with lovely people all along the way.

Yes, the German people are noted for strength and tenacity.  If I were ever in a rope pulling contest I would definitely want Chancellor Angela Merkel on my side.


***