Friday, August 14, 2015

This Could Be Me

Larry Thompson
Larry Thompson was in the news this past week.  The 65 year old hospice patient was arrested for failing to pay court costs after a 2010 arrest for driving without a license.  Mr. Thompson said he thought he'd paid his debt to society after spending 5 months in  jail back then.

The upshot of all this was that the jail would not accept him because he is too sick for them to care for - so the last I heard he was being shuffled back and froth.

In the articles Mr. Thompson explained that he's on a very limited income and he will lose his housing and be on the street if he tries to pay the fine.

Some people think that Mr. Thompson has made some very bad choices in his life.  I'm sure they're right but the reason they're trying to throw him in jail is because he's poor.  

Question:  What do all of the inmates in Orlando's 33rd Street jail have in common?  

Answer:  They're all poor!

Lots of folks, when they're working with the poor, feel pity.  What I think, when I'm handing some old lady a cup of soup at Daily Bread  is - This could have been me.   Since I had no safety net most of my life,  if I had made two or three bad decisions  at a given time - it could have been me.

Of course, at this point, I'm not so vulnerable.  There are a world of people in my life who would bond me out if I needed it.

But I have a friend who was just beaten on the street - because that's where he lives.  I have a daughter who is compromised.  I have a brother who is gravely ill.

There but for the grace of God.....


***