Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I Love Hospice

Hospice care is a philosophy of caring which values the dignity and worth of each person...Although hospices care is for people nearing death, hospices cherish and emphasize life by helping patients live each precious day to the fullest.   - Hospice Education Institute

A week ago Sunday, in Forum, we listened to Ken Bradley, the Winter Park Florida Hospital Administrator, talk about health care for us oldies.  It's changing - for the better.

As we left I saw a poster in the hall with the banner "Hospice - It's not for just the last week of life."

Paul and Cess
After that Dave drove me directly to the airport where I hopped on a plane and went  to my younger brother's home in Indianapolis.  The day before he had started hospice care.  No more surgeries or rehab or diets.  He was in a hospital bed in his own living room.  Friends and neighbors were in and out.  He was eating whatever he wanted.  He's still having some issues - but basically pain free and happy most of the time.

That night he had a steak and baked potato from his favorite  restaurant.

My husband, Ken, was on hospice for a little more than a week.  I wish it had happened  sooner.  Most folks don't opt for it soon enough but the big reason for that is medical professionals wanting to try one more thing..........It's their jobs to keep us alive.

But - please - let's face it.  We're all gonna die.

Thank goodness we're getting a better grip on what we want our "declining years" to look like and we are beginning to get the information we need to make our own decisions

One of my favorite people, Jimmy Carter, with brain cancer at age 90, has opted to fight to the end.  That's his decision and I respect it.

The point is - we should all have the options laid out before us a little sooner than we do.  And when my quality of life is fast ebbing, I will opt for hospice.


***