Friday, May 15, 2015

My Never Changing Diet

2nd Timothy 4:5  But as for you, you must exercise habitual self-control, and not live a self-indulgent life.  


Since we were just on a week long trip to the Plains States and ate every meal but two in restaurants - and the two we ate in a friends' home were splendid - I was wondering if I'd gained weight.  I have not, despite having eaten some if everything.

Almost everybody I know, especially my age, goes on a diet from time to time.  I don't.  I try to follow the Apostle Paul's diet plan: "moderation in all things."

Following is part of an article, written by Roberto Ferdman from the Washington Post, refuting some of our current thinking:

Aspartame causes cancer, or, at the very least, is definitely bad for us.  This has never been proven.  In fact, some studies show just the opposite.  I don't use much Aspartame.  I've switched to Stevia in the Raw.  But Aspartame is a backup.  I never drink sugary drinks.  And I don't believe that artificial sweeteners make us fat.  I quit drinking anything with sugar in it (except for wine, of course) decades ago.  I save my sugar intake for other things.

We eat too much salt.  OK, how much is too much?  I try to avoid too many processed foods, including soups because the sodium content is out the door, but I love my sea salt on salads and veggies.  I've known several old folks who've been denied salt and suffer because of it.  Salt is, and has been throughout history, one of life's great pleasures.

MSG is "a silent killer."  I don't use MSG because it keeps me from sleeping.  But for those who aren't sensitive to it, no harm has been proven.  So why are we so afraid of MSG?

Gluten is bad.  Ferdman says a third of Americans are working to eliminate gluten from their diet.  If you're not allergic and you don't have celiac disease, why would you embrace a gluten free diet?  I like bread.  Once or twice a week I have an egg sandwich - with sea salt.  So good.  On Saturdays I have a blueberry muffin.  OMGoodness, it's tasty.

High fructose corn syrup is worse than sugar.   From what I've read - which is probably not what you've read - sugar is sugar - no matter where it comes from.  It makes everything taste great but it's addictive and too much of it will make you fat.  So I watch my surgery treats.

Why should you care what I eat?  Well, I'm healthy, I've weighed about the same for 40 years (which is well within my normal range,) I love to eat good food - and I do.

My secret is that I'm with the Apostle Paul on the issue of "Moderation in all things."  There are a couple of other issues that he and I used to differ on but, over the years, one of us has come around.


***