Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

Yesterday Dave and I had a date to see "Anything Goes" at the new state-of-the-art, pride of the city, Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts - located right in the middle of downtown Orlando.

We went in the afternoon so we could enjoy the architecture in its surroundings. (And, of course, you know I like to be in my jams by about 7:00 PM.)

I had read the Center was "built without walls."  That's not exactly true but it certainly looks that way.

Phillips at night.  Dave took the other photos.
It was easy to find and easy to park.  Mainly because we used the valet.  We had a choice of paying either $35 or $25.  We chose the latter.

Despite the Orlando Sentinel's review that totally trashed "Anything Goes," we thought it was great.  Cole Porter is one of my favorite Broadway composers.  The troop tap-danced their hearts out.

One of the most heartwarming parts of touring the theater, for both of us, was seeing the lists of patrons who ponied up the funds to get this project completed.  Many of these folks we know personally and our hearts were warmed to remember, once more, how generous people are when they have passion for a cause.

There was one minor problem (almost).  Since Dave had paid for the tickets AND the parking I tried to hand him a $20 bill.  He laughed and said "no way."  But I didn't let up so he finally said he would play me a game of cribbage for it.  If I won I got to pay him.

I we played the game last night in our p.j.s.  I won!





***