Friday, May 22, 2015

Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain, Oklahoma!


Prior to a couple of weeks ago all I knew about Oklahoma was what I learned from the song.  On the first night of our trip we visited with old friends of Dave's  in Bartlesville, OK.

Little oil wells on every farm we saw.
I was expecting to have an nice time with them, which we did.  I was not expecting to particularly enjoy Bartlesville.

But the first thing that got me excited was the drive from Tulsa.  Along with the beautiful countryside, there were oil wells - everywhere!  I'd never seen a real one.  It was at that point that I realized we were not in Florida anymore.
Frank Lloyd Wright's
Price Tower.


Community Center designed by Wesley
Peters,  protege of Frank Lloyd Wright.
When we reached downtown Bartlesville, I was blown away.

This was once a rich, sophisticated oil town.   Dave wanted to show me the 19 story Price Tower building, designed by none other than Frank Lloyd Wright.  Wright called it "The tree that escaped the crowded forest."

We toured the place, inside and out.  We saw Wright's crazy (my assessment) array of angles and overhangs.  Not to mention crazy uncomfortable furniture.  He was something.

Price house designed by Bruce Goff
son-in-law of Frank Lloyd Wright.
When big oil came to Bartlesville, architectural  creativity followed.  The entire downtown is a mixture of styles - but Wright had an influence on most everything.

It was a fun, educational afternoon.


***