Friday, February 13, 2015

Vaccinations


I took my troubles down to Madame Rue
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth,
I told her that I was a flop with chics
I've been this way since 1956
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
She said "What you need is Love Potion Number Nine."
I didn't know if it was day or night
I started kissing' everything in sight
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
He broke my little bottle of...Love Potion Number Nine.    (Written by Mike Stoller and Jerry Leiber)
Yesterday, my daughter asked me why I haven't written a blog posting about vaccinations. Clearly, as we learn from the lyrics of this song, not every potion is good for us - but the vaccination controversy is clear as well.  We need them.  They are safe.  Get vaccinated.
I'm old enough to remember my friend in an iron lung, another friend deeply scared (for life) with measles,  the baby down the block dying from whooping cough, and so on.  
So I'm not even going to address the baby and child needs.  Let's talk about us oldies:
Shingles cause indescribable pain, sometimes for months or years.  We usually get shingles when our immune systems are down.  Don't let this happen.  Get your herpes zoster vaccine.
Influenza - Sometimes we think we have the flu when it's really just a cold.  Flu is miserable and can kill us.  Yes, the vaccine wasn't great this year but I had the "real" flu once and wouldn't think of not having my shot. 

Pneumonia - Do you remember when pneumonia was called "The old man's friend" because it was what finally killed old people who had other serious issues?  Pneumonia is not your friend.  Get the vaccine. 

Hepatitis - I had the vaccine when I went to work for the Children's Home.  If you're susceptible, get it. 

Travel Vaccines - I've heard folks complain about all the shots recommended when they visit exotic places.  But even George Clooney wishes he'd taken his medicine before he got malaria. 

I'll end with this little love poem:

Kisses spread germs
And how I hate 'em
But kiss me kid,
I'm vaccinated! 


***