Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kevin Kline

I love the actor Kevin Kline.  The other day when Dave and I were playing cribbage and talking about our day I mentioned that I hadn't seen a Kevin Kline movie in many years and I was a bit sad that he never became really rich and really famous.

Later on I Googled him.  Wow, was I wrong!

Kevin Kline has made 47 movies, won an Oscar, and has been inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame.

For your future viewing pleasure, I've made you a list of my six favorite KK movies:

1.  A Fish Named Wanda.  This movie was totally crazy and fun.  Also the one for
Oscar for "Fish"
which he won the Academy Award.

 2.  The Big Chill  This was a serious movie about relationships and suicide.  It has one of my favorite movie lines of all time - and one I've used often.  When one of the women tells Jeff Goldblum she's afraid that when she dies nobody will come to her funeral, he replies, "I'll come and I'll bring a date."

Another interesting "Big Chill" fact is that the other famous Kevin actor, Costner, was cut out of the film at the last minute.  We only see him lying in a coffin.

3.  In and Out  KK plays a high school drama coach who is gay but doesn't know it until one
of his former students, a movie star, thanks his "gay" high school teacher for his start.  This is a very sweet and funny movie.

4.  Dave  KK plays the president of the United States (sort of) opposite the extremely tall Sigourney Weaver.  My Dave and I watched this movie yesterday afternoon and enjoyed every minute of it.


5.  De-Lovely  The tragic story of Cole Porter with KK in the lead role.  One of the reasons I loved it was hearing Cole Porter's music sung by several exceptional singers including the great Elvis Costello.

And now for my favorite Kevin Kline movie and one of my favorite movies, period!

6.   Life as a House  KK has made many movies about the triumph of the human spirit but this one is over the top.  His character has lost everything, his family, his job, his health (he's dying) but through the metaphor of building a house,  everything changes.  Well, in the end he still doesn't have a job, and his wife's still married to another man, and he's still dying - but everything is good!

I've used this movie many times in speaking to groups about overcoming!

The last thing I read about Kevin Kline is that he's making a new movie (his 48th) and his net worth is about 35 million dollars.  Guess I've stop feeling bad for him.


***