Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Calendar Daze

If you picture me kicking and screaming as I move into technology, you would be correct.  But I learn what I need to learn and do what I need to do.

One thing I don't do is use the calendar on my phone.  I use my day planner.  Every day I open my big black book (that never leaves my home) to see what's up.  Generally speaking, if it's in the book it happens.  If it's not in the book it doesn't happen.

The day planner relieves stress.  If I'm doing something important on Friday, my calendar tells me what to do each day of the week to get ready for it.  Decades ago, when I was doing seminars on time management and leadership I advocated the day planner as an important tool.

And now I read in business section of this morning's Orlando Sentinel that Lee Cockerell, former VP at Disney World and now an expert on leadership, time management and professional development, uses and advocates the day planner.  He says:

I think one thing I've seen recently is that a lot of people have gone to try to use their phone instead of a day planner, where they can look at it and look at things they need to be working on and think about what they ought to be spending their time on today.

More and more I'm getting notes back from people saying they're going to go back to a planner.  When you're talking on the phone you can't get into your task list and when you're looking something up on your phone you can't easily get to your task list. 

Exactly!
My day planner page from this week in 2014.  Had Cataract surgery on Tues. Guess that's why I washed my fuzzy robe on Monday.  Lots of prep notes.



***