Friday, October 5, 2012

"You Always Have to be Right About Everything"

Recently a professor at Harvard Divinity School identified a scrap of papyrus that (she's saying) said:  "Jesus said to them, 'My wife...'"

This "news" has stirred up a little controversy - but mostly jokes.  Mostly bad jokes.  I've been a little offended by some of them but, for the most part, they've been gently poking fun at Jesus - and at the professor with the scrap of papyrus.

And now in this week's New Yorker, Paul Rudnick writes a very funny (I think) "Shouts & Murmurs" column about Jesus and his wife, Melissa.

It's mostly about Melissa and her frustration with falling for a guy who doesn't have a job - but wants everybody to love and respect each other, share in the Lord's bounty and bring peace to the world.

Melissa is intrigued but her head keeps telling her "Don't lend him money."

When Jesus attracts hundreds of followers, Melissa worries about where they'll all sit and what if they run out of "dried figs and almonds?"

When Jesus and Melissa have a misunderstanding, Melissa says in frustration, "but I guess you always have to be right about everything."

And so on ...

I feel reasonably sure that Paul Rudnick isn't trying to teach us any lessons here but in reading this piece I could so easily identify with Melissa.

Like getting caught up in the ordinary when Jesus is dealing with the ultimate.  And the "...having to be right about everything" statement.  I'm comforted by that most of the time but  - sometimes - I just want to roll my eyes.



***