Monday, October 15, 2012

The Call

Dave and I often discuss the word "Calling."  What does it mean?  Folks usually think religious like "He's been called to the seminary....or the monastery."  Or, "She's been called to the convent.... or the mission field."

I think it's way more than that. It may be a spiritual concept but it can apply to many things.

This morning I read a chapter in my Joan Chittister book called "How Do I Know I'm Doing What I'm Meant to Do?" (With what poet Mary Oliver calls "your one wild and precious life.")  Most of humanity never even contemplates this.  Most get caught up in silly stuff or serious obligations way before they give it a thought.  But, in this chapter, Chittister gives us seven clues as to whether or not we're pursuing an authentic call.

1.  Are we looking for something that fits our skills not something that fits someone else's ideas of what they would like to see us do.   As a consultant, I used to work with plenty of unhappy folks who were doing work somebody else (parents mostly) decided was best for them.

2.  A real call in life is for something that goes beyond interest or ability.  A real call strikes white, hot passion.  Remember a few weeks ago I shared a story with you about a woman who feels this way about her job in a toll booth.  Which leads us to...

3.  My call is what drives me beyond both talent and passion to a sense of purpose.

4.  My call presents itself as a thorn in my heart as the sight of another's pain.  When I worked at a children's home in the 90s I was amazed to see upscale hairdressers arrive on campus (free of charge and at their on expense)  to do the hair and nails of these fragile kids for special events like first proms.

5.  When I am following my call, I lose all sense of time.

6.  I am as much expanded by whatever it is that I'm doing as it is by me.  I've certainly found this to be true in my work, even the "work" I'm dong right now as I'm typing this.

7.  To become what I am born to do, what I am uniquely capable of doing is, in the end, good for the soul as well as for the work.  It changes me.  I find out that happiness is a lot less and a lot more than I ever expected. 

Tomorrow morning Dave and I are taking our good friends to the airport for their flight to Kenya.  They're going with a team of medical professionals to work for a few days with children who, mostly because of the HIV/AIDS epidemic on the African continent, are orphaned and must care for themselves and their younger siblings.

Why aren't we going with them?  First, we're not qualified but also we're not called.  And you pretty much need to be called to do this.  I'm grateful that they are.


***