Sunday, October 7, 2012

Let Me Tell You How to Vote!

I just had a phone call from Stan Van Gundy,  former coach of The Magic.  He wants me to vote YES on one of the many, many amendments to the Florida Constitution that are listed on our ballet this time around.

While I was on the treadmill this afternoon I listened to several scenarios regarding the "Fiscal Cliff" that we'll all be falling off of at the end of 2012 if we don't vote right.

But it's too late.  I received my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday.  It's done.

How are you deciding on the candidates and issues?  My late mother-in-law, Ken's mom, used to vote based on who was better looking.  She would have had a problem with Bush/Gore, because I think they (at that time) looked a lot alike.

Some folks are voting based on who most scares the bejeebers out of them.  Some folks vote the way somebody else tells them to, or the way their parents voted.  Lots of folks vote for who they think will make them richer.  Some folks vote a straight party ticket - so they just make one decision and go for it.

Here's what I did.  I researched every candidate - and every amendment.  It's so much easier now that we have the World Wide Web. It  would be easier still if I just voted my prejudices.  But I tried very hard to be brave, to vote my values, as a woman, a Christian, a person who is supposed to care about everybody in the world.

Because, of course, our leadership does affect the whole world.

But here's the thing.  I don't believe that the world as we know it will come to an end if the wrong folks get into office.  We have some significant issues - but  I'm not leaving the country if my candidates don't get in.

I have faith that, no matter who's elected, we'll eventually be OK.

But I think my vote is very important.  That's why I've used my # 2 pencil, put 65 cents worth of stamps on the envelope, and followed all the other instructions to the letter.

It's done!  So all of you candidates who keep calling me....you can stop...because it's done.


***