Monday, May 14, 2012

What I Would Do If I Had Teenagers

I know you think I'm going to say that, what I would do if I had teenagers, is, maybe, shoot myself.  But I found the teen years with my kids to be quite satisfying.  I enjoyed them.

Yesterday my church honored our high school grads.  All 47 of them.  The majority are graduating from Winter Park High, a public school.  Their photos and short bios were given to all of us church goers.  I was blown away with their accomplishments and plans for the future.  If I were an employer I'd hire any one of them.  But that's not an option because they're all going off to impressive colleges and universities.

Three of them spoke from the pulpit.   All moving, non-braggy stories about themselves.

Here's what I would do if I were a single mom with teenagers and without big time resources.  I'd do whatever I could to move into a school district with a topnotch high school.

Winter Park is great but, despite the sorry state of our nationwide public education system, there are other fine high schools.

I'd also get my kids to a church that offers a topnotch youth program, one that reinforces the values I want for them.  I've heard many of these kids say that the most meaningful thing they've done in their lives - so far - is to go on mission trips.

And there's something to be said for peer pressure.  When your kid is hanging out with highly motivated kids most of the time it makes a big difference.

Not to mention the scores of adults lovingly cheering them on from the sidelines.


***