Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Cell Phones

I've had a cell phone for about 15 years.  In that time I've upgraded my phone once, about 8 years ago.  Until yesterday.  Dave and I went to the AT&T store.  I switched to AT&T and bought a new phone.  This process took most of the day.

Several times during this experience I thought about shooting myself.  Of course, I'm kidding.  But I did excuse myself  once and, since we were in the mall, quickly circled the food court and wolfed down a sample of everything offered.

The guys helping us couldn't have been nicer.  Poor Dave, even though he wasn't getting a new phone, had to get his number changed in order to get me on his plan.  This was very traumatic for him so our AT&T guy, Sam, tried really hard to get them to make an exception.  But no dice.  This part only took about two hours.

This cartoon is from the current issue of The New Yorker.  I would have taken a photo like this at the AT&T store but I have no clue about how to use the camera part of my new phone.

The phone is great.  Lots of APPS and everything.  It's about the size of a slice of bread so that will take some getting used to.

But here's the thing.  I have no idea how to use it.  I have, with some difficulty, figured out how to turn it on.  Last night we had dinner with several family members.  Every one of them has a fancy phone (like me!) but nobody offered to give me a tutorial.

My (potential) best friend, Sam, told me to enjoy playing with the phone over the weekend then come back to the store on Monday and he'd give me some pointers.

I'm dreading it, but I'll go.  I'm motivated.


***