Thursday, July 11, 2024

Book Returns


 I've been a little under the weather for a few months.  And, what with all the symptoms and medications, I found myself unable to concentrate enough to read meaty books the way I have for the last seven or so decades. 

I've always been a reader.  That's why I'm a writer.  You can read without writing.  But you can't write without reading.  

Anyway, I'm much better.  A couple of weeks ago, without warning,  my friend, Christie, presented me with five New York Times best selling books. 

What was she up to?  She knew I wasn't up to concentrating.  But, I thought I'd give it a try that afternoon,  I started with Before We Were Yours by master story teller, Lisa Wingate.  Once I started, I couldn't stop.  My favorite genre is fiction, along with real history.  

Before We Were Yours is set in the past but also the present.  It reminds us of the havoc wrecked on countless lives of children, as well as both birth and adoptive parents.  It exposes, in a new way, Georgia Tann and her Memphis Tennessee Children's Home Society.

So, how did I like this tragic, long, complicated story?  I loved it. 

Now I'm reading Hour of the Witch by Chris Bohjalian.  It takes place in Boston in 1662.  It's about culturally, religiously, sanctioned brutality and the original American witch hunt. 

As a side note, I have misplaced all my bookmarks.  But, I have several cards made from my husband, David's, paintings.  One of them is of a graveyard, so cards in this set have never been given away.  It just doesn't seem right to send someone a card featuring a graveyard.  Especially if it's a birthday card for an older friend. But it's a perfect bookmark for Hour of the Witch.