Thursday, October 13, 2022

Wire Coat Hangers



 Jobs Partnership is a great program that helps folks who are unemployed or underemployed by providing skills training in various areas.  One service they provide is appropriate clothing for interviews and positions.  

A few weeks ago a friend, who is part of the leadership in this program was asking for wire coat hangers.  She said they're in need because "no one uses wire hangers anymore."

This was big news to me!  I had no idea how I could be so out of step.  

Yes, I'm well aware of the wire hanger's bad reputation for being used for things other than clothing.  Actress Joan Crawford's daughter, in her book, Mommy Dearest, tells a chilling tale of Joan's outrage at her daughter using wire coat hangers while beating her with one. The term "No wire coat hangers ever!" became famous.  

And every person my age knows that coat hangers were used by desperate women to bring about  abortions.  Many of them died and others required hysterectomies. Decades ago the hangers became the symbol of dangerous, illegal abortions.  

But I don't think that the misuse of the hanger is what's causing it's current bad reputation.  I think it's fashion.  

I came home and looked in my closets to find a mishmash of wire, wooden, plastic and combos of all.  I decided to get rid of all the weird, different shaped hangers and keep only the uniform wire hangers with that little cardboard roll on the bottom for hanging pants.  

I donated the others to Jobs Partnerships.

***