Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Greatest Country Song of All Time

George Jones

He said I'll love you 'till I die





I finally got around to reading the featured article about country music in the current AARP magazine and was reminded that many experts consider "He Stopped Loving Her Today" as the greatest country song of all time.  

And furthermore, Rolling Stone magazine named "He Stopped Loving Her Today" as number 275 on their list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.  So, not just a country song, but all songs ever written!

I just don't get it.  Country music is loaded with sad songs.  By the way, my favorite is "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" as sung by Johnny Cash. 

Written in 1980 by Bobby Braddok and Curly Putman, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" was recorded by the sad and brooding George Jones.  

I've read that Jones hated the song when he first heard it.  He thought it was too long, too sad, and too depressing.

Well, hey, isn't that an excellent description of  country songs?  

He stopped loving her today

They placed a wreath upon his door

And soon they'll carry him away

He stopped loving her today 


***