Thursday, March 17, 2022

Film Makers


 How important are the arts?  Could we live whole, healthy lives without the arts?  I don't think so.  Despite our need as humans to receive this,  it's hard to make a living in the arts.  

I've occasionally crushed some young peoples' dreams by reminding them "It's hard to make a living in the arts."  Believe me, I know.

Film makers are a special kind of storytellers. I have a couple of film makers in my life so I have great appreciation for this gift and skill.  I recently read an article in my AARP Bulletin  about film makers, Tefta Bejko and Bujar Alimani.  

The struggle they had to get out of their native land, Albania, and finally land in New York City, would make a triumphant film itself.  Bujar started on foot, climbing mountains and crossing rivers until he reached Greece.  Tefta joined him later, and they had a child. 

They started making films.  Bujar wrote and directed, Tefta handled production. Their work was honored.  Albania chose their first feature, Amnistia, as it's entry for the 2012 Oscars. Later, two other films were put up for Academy Awards. 

Now, years later,  here comes the most interesting part of the article.  Both Tefta and Bujar have full time working class jobs.  Tefta is a cashier in a supermarket.  Bujar works an eight hour construction job.  

As Bujar says, "We don't get paid much for our film work.  Nearly every dollar we earn or raise goes to pay our actors, crew and expenses."  

Additionally he says, "I must document these memories.  I am an artist....My mission is to tell not just the story, but the truth."

Amen, Bujar. 


***