Thursday, March 10, 2022

Cheers!

 

These last few years my son has done some interesting (and crazy) things for my birthday.  Some of them are fun, like notes from people in our community I truly admire.  Some are questionable.  Like a few years ago I received an autographed photo of Pat Boone.  

Queue the eye role.  

So this past December, when my birthday rolled around, I wasn't surprised to receive a Cameo video from George Wendt.  Cameo makes personalized videos featuring  "famous personalities."  You can chose either personal or business videos.  

When I watched my George Wendt video I was kind of doing the "eye roll" thing. Early on he mentioned Nora Ephron and Steve Martin and I had no idea what that had to do with me.  But after watching it a couple of more times I began to realize it was all about me.  

He started out saying "Happy Birthday Cecily" and he pronounced my name correctly.  That's a plus.   He congratulated me on finishing up my book, Florida, A Love Story.  He sort of bellowed "Comin' out soon!" Then he said "you gotta keep up the writing" and I took this as being a little patronizing because he'd not read anything I'd written.

But, as he continued I realized he had read many of my blog postings.  I love Nora Ephron (now deceased) and, over the years, have written several posts about her.  George's favorites seem to be the ones about food.  I wrote a few postings about Steve Martin as well.  He, like Nora, is a serious writer.  He used to write often for The New Yorker.  

George went on to discuss "Fear of Nuns."  On August, 30, 2021 I wrote a posting titled "Nuns and Clowns."  It dealt with our fears, rational or not, of these two groups.  George suggested I watch a show called "Rebel Hearts."  It's about some seriously strong nuns. 

So, I went from "eye rolling" to being impressed by and grateful for, George Wendt's greeting.  I hope you'll take a look at Cameo. What an interesting concept for both personal and corporate use. 

George never once mentioned Norm.  But he did end his video by saying, "Cheers."


***