Saturday, January 16, 2021

Life Expectancy

  

Billy Collins has been described as the most popular poet in America.  Some people say that poets are fixated on end of life issues.  I believe this because I'm a poet and I'm fixated on end of life issues.  In Billy Collins' poem below he deals with the life expectancy of animals and people.  I've often felt sad about the people close to me who have  animals they love, knowing they will lose them at some point.

On the other hand, many years ago my husband Ken and I made a trip to Atlanta to visit our family.  Ken, who was ill, was watching my son-in-law and his  elderly dog, Sampson play in the yard, and said "I can't believe that dog's going to outlive me!"  Bill Collins beautifully embraces that very issue in this poem.


LIFE EXPECTANCY

On the morning of a birthday that ended in a zero,

I was looking out at the garden

when it occurred to me that the robin

on her worm-hunt in the dewy grass

had a good chance of outliving me,

as did the worm itself for that matter

if he managed to keep his worm-head down.


It was not always like this.

For decades, I could assume

that I would be around longer 

than the squirrel dashing up a tree

or the nightly raccoons in the garbage,

longer than the barred owl on a branch,

the ibis, the chicken, and the horse,


longer than four deer in a clearing

and every creature in the zoo

except the African parrot and the big tortoise,

whose cages I would hurry past.

It was just then in my calculations

that the cat padded noiselessly into the room,

and it seemed reasonable,


given her bright and glossy coat,

to picture her at my funeral,

dressed all in black, as usual,

which would nicely set off her red collar,

some of the mourners might pause in their  grieving to notice,

as she found a place next to a labradoodle

in a section of the church reserved for their kind. 

- Billy Collins

***