Friday, January 1, 2021

Bella and Me


 I spent Christmas with my Atlanta family as I have for the past twenty years. Theirs is a big family, including two dogs.  Last year I noticed that their Great Dane, Bella, was slowing down.  

She was probably thinking the same thing about me.  

Great Danes' average life span is seven years.  I'm not sure how old Bella is but the family told me she's getting close winning the oldie prize.

She used to intimidate me a bit.  Not by her behavior because Great Danes are devoted, friendly, confident, loving and gentle, but by her size.  She outweighs me big time!

I remember, years ago, when a cable guy was in the family room and the youngest child was sitting on the couch, Bella calmly walked over to the couch and stationed herself between my granddaughter and the repair man, as if to say, I don't know who you are or why you're under that table but if you want to come over to the couch you'll have to get by me.

Bella walked softly but carried a big stick. 

This past week it was obvious to me that Bella is truly an old lady.  She stayed on her bed much of the time, but occasionally got up and walked over to nuzzle one of the family members.  On Christmas morning she laid in the middle of all the chaos, obviously content just to be with her family.  

You know how I have a passion for how to do and share the aging process which ultimately leads to death and resurrection.   Bella reminded me that this process doesn't have to be awful if you're surrounded  by love. She's still living a life that matters. 

***