Monday, November 23, 2020

Let's Write a Book


A few days ago I was talking with my smart friend about how many people dream about some day writing a novel but never do.  Novels are much more glamorous than non fiction books because you don't have to do that pesky research. 

Somewhere in the middle of the conversation we both revealed that we'd each written our dream novel.  Neither of us was surprised.  Nor were either of us surprised they had not been published. 

I wrote my novel over 20 years ago when I was confined to the house for long periods of time when my husband, Ken, was ill.  It started with an interest in Florida history, especially Central Florida where I live.  So, I started hunting down and reading everything I could find on Old Central Florida.  

Yes, I loved doing the pesky research, as well as the writing. 

And, no, it did not get published.  But I learned so much about Florida, about writing, about what it takes to get a novel published - and I learned some things about myself along the way.   

So, while we're once more confined for a chunk of time, I hope you're doing something creative that  you've put off for a rainy day.  Now's the time -we're in for a few more "rainy days" of confinement.

I'm not doing much writing nor heavy reading right now but, for the last several days, I've been reading my novel.  I was afraid it might be cringe worthy but I'm enjoying myself.   Maybe I'll work on it some day.  It needs a rewrite. 

But not anytime soon. I'm not up to writing or reading anything heavy.  Now I feel like Pete Rose who was  once quoted as saying, "The only book I ever read was the one I wrote."


***