Thursday, August 20, 2020

Tread

I like it when family and friends suggest things for me to watch, especially in this shut-down time.  So, when my son suggested I watch the documentary, Tread, I gave it a shot.

But about two thirds of the way through I thought I was going to have to tell him he owes me an hour of my life.  But then yesterday when we were on a little road trip and he was on the phone,   I heard him suggesting that Tread might be a good discussion starter in their eclectic men's Bible study group.

 And, all at once, it clicked. I knew exactly what he had in mind.  And I agreed.  It would make for real conversation on how we handle ourselves when we get pushed to the edge by perceived injustice.

In Tread Marvin Theemeyer is a guy who considers himself a man's man.  His love of snowboarding led him to the small town of  Grandy Colorado where he lived for a couple of decades.  He was an excellent welder, owned a muffler shop,  and had friends, including a long time girlfriend.  He also had a strong faith.

Over time he had some disputes the town over property rights.  He felt that the way people got ahead in this town was by keeping other people down, including him.  He felt like he wasn't being heard or respected.  At some point he decided God's will had to be done - through him.   So he went all "Old Testament" on them.

Spoiler Alert:  Marv transforms his bulldozer into a tank and pretty much destroys the town of Grandy. Then kills himself while still in the tank.

Do I know anyone who's done what Marv did?  Of course not.  But I know many people, good people, who've destroyed the things and hurt the people they loved the most.  Let's have a discussion on why do we do this.

In case you think this is a "guy thing," following is a poem I, myself, in a time of deep frustration, wrote to express my feelings.  (You can find Tread on Netflix.)


HELLO SIXTIES

I shouted out the Emancipaiton
       Proclamation, 
The Civil Rights Act, 
And the wording to the Equal Rights
      Amendment.

And you said, 
"Let's go to bed."

I joined an underground movement,
And plotted to overthrow the government.

And you said, 
"You're cute when you're mad."

I blew up your post office,
And half of your university.

And you said,
"Are you having your period?"

With one fell swoop,
I destroyed everything we both held dear.

And you finally said, 
"Why are you doing this?"

"I'M JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION."

 - Cecily Crossman


***