Sunday, August 16, 2020

Celebs - They're (Not) Just Like Us

For the last six months I've been pretty much homebound because  of illness and for the same reason every other one of you is currently holed up in your house.  

I'm fortunate to have constant sources of comfort, and intellectual, spiritual and physical care.  But, like you, my needs are ever changing.  A while back I was told my reading materials were too intense and I needed to lighten up so I ordered subscriptions to several magazines, including The New Yorker (my favorite,) Esquire, Architectural Digest and People.

Like the New Yorker, People comes once a week.  I've done my best trying to identify with the celebrities featured in People.  For instance, like Kim Kardashian, we should all be able relate to seeing all of our triumphs and tragedies as photo ops.  Right?  And we can all relate to the heartbreak of having a wildly talented but insane husband running for president.  Right?  (I'm referring to Kanye West here - no one else.)

And, unlike the UK Royals, Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are regular people who've been mistreated by their in-laws.  That's a common relatable experience.  Yesterday I was thumbing through some of their serious concerns that made Harry give up his birthright.  

 - Meghan was falsely accused of wearing the wrong color nail polish.

 - Kate didn't offer Meghan a lift in her Range Rover when they were both going shopping on the same day.

And, one of my favorites,
 - Megan's dresser purposely dragged her heels about finding Meghan the proper diamond tiara for her wedding rehearsal.  (We've all been there.)

So, as we all know because they're in People Magazine so often, Harry and Meghan did not accept (or were not offered) an assist from the folks in buying their starter home in California.  They had to come up with the 14.65 million dollars on their own.

 On the other hand, I have been able to truly (and seriously)  relate to Sean Penn, who's currently working to help heal our world by helping provide the largest Covid 19 testing site in the country.  And he and I are sporting the same hair style.  So I guess I do have some things in common with celebs after all.




***