Saturday, June 29, 2019

Christ Figure


I dedicate this book to my beloved fifteen-year-old black Lab, Venus, whom I had to release to God while beginning to write this book.  Without any apology, lightweight theology, or fear of heresy, I can appropriately say that Venus was also Christ to me.  - Father Richard Rohr

David and I have been watching some old but highly praised movies on TCM while we've been recuperating.  One was the 1958 film "The Young Lions," a movie about three soldiers during WW II.  Montgomery Clift and Dean Martin, play American draftees.  The other, Marlon Brando, a conflicted German soldier.

One reason to watch this film is that Brando and Clift were two of the greatest Method actors of their time.  The movie is brutal and tough to watch in some places, but eventually satisfying.  The torture didn't take place on the battle field, it happened in Montgomery Clift's platoon.  He was brutalized by men in his own unit.  Why?  Because he was an American Jew.  But the way he responded was remarkable, especially when he later saved one of his tormentors.

For some reason I haven't been able to get this character out of my head and my heart.  And then it dawned on me,  Montgomery Clift's character was a Christ figure for me.  But I had no intention of sharing that view with you...

...until I started reading Father Richard Rohr's new best seller, "The Universal Christ"  and saw that he dedicated this book to his dog, Venus, who he said in his dedication was "Christ" to him.

I am blessed to be around so many folks who don't believe the way I do or live the way I live but, in the last few weeks, I have seen Christ in them - whether they know it or not.

Check out "The Young Lions."  You'll see what I mean.


***