Monday, June 10, 2019

And Then There Were Nine

Over the years you've often heard me refer to my Power Rangers.  This is a group of ten women who've been together for twenty-five, plus, years.

We started as an accountability group and over the decades became so much more.  Much good has come to the world through this gang of ten.   Far more than we could have accomplished separately.

We began as a group of powerful women - and in the ways that really count, we still are.  But now we are missing one.  Robbi Walker died a few days ago.  She was the powerful matriarch of a powerful family and a powerful force in my life - and so much more.

Several months ago Dave told me he couldn't sleep the night before.  Why not?  Those of you who know Dave will be surprised with his response.  He was praying.  More specifically, he was praying for Robbi and her family.

I said, "tell me about that."

Well he started in explaining to God about who Robbi was and is.  He didn't know her well but he cared very much for her and loved hearing me talk about her accomplishments and how she impacted my life.  Dave explained to God about how Robbi, after her children were grown, went off to seminary to become a United Methodist minister and after she finished she was the pastor of a tiny church in Winter Park, Florida for a few years before she retired.

After the Robbi reports, Dave told God some things about Bill, her husband, and what an amazing leader he was (and is) in law, Methodism, business, raising chickens, etc.

This is where I started rolling my eyes.  If God didn't already know these things about the amazing Bill Walker, God was the only one in the Southeastern United States who didn't.

But, then, Dave thought he needed to tell God something about the magnificent children the Walkers had raised.  He told God several things about Michele, and her many triumphs and tragedies and more triumphs.

By this time I actually said to Dave, "I'm glad you don't know Sean and Kennan because we'd never get out of this kitchen."

But wasn't Dave asking questions that most of us have asked?  Why has a family, one that has blessed so many, been given such challenges?

I don't know.  I only know that I loved Robbi; she fought the long, hard fight and is now at peace with God.


***