Sunday, March 17, 2019

Huey Lewis and Meniere's Disease

As I walked to the stage in Dallas it sounded like a jet engine was going on. 

Huey Lewis said this in 2018 when he abruptly experienced the tinnitus (although it's way more than ordinary tinnitus) that was ultimately diagnosed as Meniere's Disease.  That event led him to say in the same interview:

I haven't come to grips with the fact that I may never sing again.

It's sad that performers like Huey Lewis and Ryan Adams and scores of others have had their careers altered by this condition.  But it's helpful to me to have them share their experiences.

I still go out in crowds.  I go to restaurants, attend meetings and church services every week.  Last week I went to my book club, got sick and had to leave.  Same thing happened in Forum this morning.   I think (hope) I look perfectly normal.  But, in a noisy room, there is an indescribable super noise barrier between me and whatever is happening.  I have to concentrate like crazy to distinguish the voice of the person I want to hear.  It is exhausting.

In Huey Lewis's interview he says he can hold conversations and talk on the phone but he can't sing because the music is distorted.   Yes, when crowds are talking or music is playing, it's all distorted - and exhausting.  Sometimes when the noise is particularly bad, I feel panic.  Panic attacks are common with Meniere's Disease.

But I have a lot to be grateful for. Unlike Huey Lewis, I don't have many obligations that require me to be in crowds.  The severe attacks visit very seldom these days.  Is it because of my new life style that requires exercise, extra sleep, lots of quiet time, exotic medications and a no salt, no caffeine diet?  I don't know.

If I stay home and sit still I'm usually comfortable.  So why do I leave the house and go where noisy people are gathered?  Because I want to.


***