Tuesday, December 4, 2018

No Time For Lemon Session

In high school, in the 50s, I was in one of those girl's clubs where it was common to have "Lemon Sessions."  One of the girls would sit in the middle of a circle and the others would each tell her things they didn't like about her.  It served no purpose and was petty and hurtful.  



I've been kind of glued to the TV the last couple of days listening to the Republicans and the Democrats come together to pay tribute to George Herbert Walker Bush.  I've loved every heart warming speech.  In hearing the love and adulation being poured out for President Bush, I've felt, for the first time in a while, that not only do these leaders truly care for him, but maybe they even care a little bit for me.

And I've felt myself caring for them.

I loved hearing Mike Pence tell about how President Bush, only a few short months ago, sent a note to the vice president's son, and how much it was appreciated.  I loved hearing Paul Ryan tell about how President Bush taught him how to campaign for office - one person at a time.

I loved President George W. Bush telling us what words his dad had for him when he was having difficulty in the White House.  The words were "I love you."

I loved seeing Bob Dole being lifted up from his wheelchair by his caregiver so that he could solute his commander-in-chief on last time.

I was even feeling concern last night for Dick Cheney when he was in obvious discomfort being interviewed by Wolf Blitzer in the freezing cold.

Don't get me wrong.  I have problems with all of these folks, including. President Bush.  He and I were not on the same page on many issues.  But now is not the time for criticism.  Now is the time for mourning and celebrating a great man.

The first half of Joshua Johnson's excellent PBS radio show, 1A. this morning was a discussion on the American Disabilities Act.  George H.W. Bush made that happen.  The second half was on the concept of whether or not the country should deal, this week, with both the good and bad he accomplished.  Should we remind people of his failures and flaws right now, along with the heart felt speeches?

I say no.  We need to mourn and celebrate.  Let's continue to have a national group hug at least through Wednesday.  We need it.  This is no time for a lemon session.


***