Friday, October 19, 2018

Wait, Wait, It's Bill Kurtis

I love the super popular NPR game show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me."  It's not so much a radio game show as it is a witty, intelligent discussion by a bunch of nerdy, smart, off-beat folks.  For a certain segment of America, "Wait, Wait..." has a wild cult-like status.  The audience treats the team like rock stars.

The host, writer and Harvard alum, Peter Sagal, is perfect.

Paula Poundstone
My favorite panelist is Paula Poundstone.  She's had a rocky road life which she still shares (worts and all) in her stand up.  On "Wait, Wait.." she entertains mostly by asking provocative questions of the guests - famous or not.  One of the things Paula is known for is her cats.  Peter Sagal once asked her how she could have 13 cats.  She said something like this - Well, Peter, I had 12 cats and then got another one.

When the long time announcer, Carl Kasell, retired I though he could never be replaced.  But (Oh My Gosh!) they hired Bill Kurtis.  I love Bill Kurtis.  He's old, almost my age.  But still has the magnificent voice that helped make him famous decades ago.  He has a law degree but news was always his game.  He broke through in 1966 when he took charge at the radio station when the terrible Topeka tornado came through.

And here's a coincidence, Bill Kurtis was raised in tiny Independence, Kansas, the same as Dave.  And his favorite high school English teacher was Miss Todd, i.e., Dave's Aunt Lora.

I mentioned all of this to my son the other day.  He doesn't know the game show and said he never heard of Bill Kurtis.  But then I reminded him that Bill Kurtis was in the Will Ferrell, "Anchorman" films.  So he did know him.

To spoof himself on "Wait, Wait..."  Bill Kurtis sometimes introduces himself as "Legendary Anchorman, Bill Kurtis."
 
But he's telling the truth.  That's exactly what he is.  But who knew he was so funny and entertaining?


***