Thursday, October 4, 2018

Letting Off Steam

I've been laying low the last couple of weeks because I've felt like I have little to contribute to the public discourse.


  • The country is falling apart.
  • My denomination is falling apart. 
  • Several of my friends and family members are falling apart. 
But today I was inspired by this cartoon in the New Yorker to let off some steam about containers that you cannot empty.

Frustrating!
It's not that I absolutely have to get every drop of lotion out of the bottle.  But, for years, I did.  Every cent counted.  I upended one ketchup bottle over the other, I added water to the kid's shampoo bottles. and I watered down the orange juice.  However, in my defense, I was concerned, even then, that an 8 oz. glass of a sugar loaded beverage every morning wasn't good for anybody, even if it was juice.   

Now I'm frustrated by the Fabreeze container.  It stops squirting when it's down about two thirds and it's all but impossible to get the lid off.  Likewise a myriad of other containers.  

This New Yorker cartoonist has confirmed what I've known for decades.  

As for our country, the United Methodist Church and the people I love who are suffering, God will ultimately prevail.  Until then I am here for you. 


***