Thursday, August 2, 2018

New Information VS Old Patterns

I'm still reading my book about very old people, "Happiness Is a Choice You Make."  Despite it's simple title, it's a complex book.

The other day I read something that I'd never thought about but it made perfect sense.

Neuroscientists often distinguish between information processing and pattern recognition.  These take place in different parts of the brain......Processing information requires a lot of brain energy; recognizing patterns requires relatively little.  

As we get older processing information becomes difficult.  Scientists and Creatives tend to do their best work in this area at an early age, say up to mid 40s.  Our brains just don't have the firepower for it as we get old.

That explains a lot!

But, thank goodness, we are able to rely more on experience and recognizing patterns.  For instance, an older doctor might be better at making a difficult diagnosis because he or she has seen the same set of symptoms over the years.  Apparently, unlike processing new information, recognizing old patterns doesn't decline as we age.

What does this have to do with me?

It helps me understand why I don't want to learn things like one more computer program (but I still do.)  It helps me understand why I don't want to try a new restaurant across town when I'm familiar with so many close by - and I know what I like at these various close by restaurants.

Our past experiences equip us to weather new storms.  As John Leland says:  If you lived through the Great Depression, you weren't so shocked when Lehman Brothers melted down. 


***